[mslee's thoughts] Golden Cross - Final Review - Was Justice Served?

Before I share my thoughts, I just want to say that I became a certified fan of Kim Kang Woo watching this drama. And I am just glad I decided to watch Golden Cross and caught up before the final episode aired. 


From my first post about the drama, I shared how I liked the story and how it compelled me to marathon watch the drama, and until it ends, my thoughts are exactly the same. Great story and amazing cast. However, the the last two episodes are not what I am expecting the story would show. I mean, after building up the story to reach it's climax, the part where Do Yoon became a witness in Seo Dong Ha's nomination as Minister of Economy somehow made the scene anti climactic. The impact I have been waiting for at how he would reveal Seo Dong Ha's crimes did not achieve the effect I am expecting. The revelation in front of the media in nationwide reminds me of political situations often occurs in the Senate or Congress in my country. It was like a circus, an open accusations done outside the proper forum, which is the court. 

Anyway, the dialogues are still great and I am dumbfounded by Seo's calm facade in the midst of Do Yoon's revelations. Not even faltered in his sit while the monitor showed photos and videos of his crimes. I guess Seo Dong Ha has been consistent of who he really is. A man without shame. A man who will shamelessly ask for forgiveness, for another chance but will resume his ruthless manner in the next minute. 

One of the character I find interesting is Michael. He has been consistent in his character, scheming and protecting his own interest. He stayed in the middle, witnessing and laughing at what is happening around him. A double faced businessman, dealing behind Seo and Mr. King's back. As long as he will benefit, he is in the game. I was waiting for a good face off between Michael and Do Yoon in the end after Michael pointed a gun at Do Yoon. A bit disappointed that there was none, just a simple visit at Michael's place, a few words and a warrant of arrest. I see Michael as one of the opponent that gave the drama more spice.While Seo Dong Ha and Attorney Park were both devious, Michael is one step ahead of them. More intelligent, more sharp.

I was not in for the romance and truthfully, I can not see a happy ending for Yi Re and Do Yoon. A lot has happened between Seo Dong Ha and Do Yoon's family. There is no room for Yi Re and Do Yoon's love to go forward. But I am sad that what could have been ended badly for them. There is nothing left but to say goodbye and move on separately. They could share the same passion about principles and justice but that's all they can have. The damage Seo Dong Ha did to Do Yoon's family is too big, it is no use forcing a love that will only pain them both.


I understand Yi Re's love for her father. If all leave Seo Dong Ha, she will be the only one left to stay. But even though she loves her father, she knows and accepts that he committed a crime that must be paid. But of course, Dong Ha failed again his daughter. He could not bring to turn himself in. It took Do Yoon and his two bodyguards to force Seo Dong Ha and Attorney Park to make them go to the police.

Actually, the last part of the episode made me laugh at how Park and Seo keeps bickering at each other childishly. Even Do Yoon find it ridiculous enough to smile. Maybe because finally, his mission was accomplished.


When Hong Sa Ra died, I felt the connection she has towards Do Yoon. She loved him, that's clear. Do Yoon wa grateful to her but I think he does not feel the same way to her. But there is friendship and trust built between them which somehow overshadowed his feelings for Yi Re. What he expected from Yi Re he got from Hong Sa Ra.

The story stayed realistic until the end. I think it is kind of ironic that the people who betrayed Do Yoon's father  and who won't help him before are now the ones who helped him reveal the truth when he came back as Terry Young, a man with money and power. They chose to stay silent when they knew Do Yoon won't succeed in his revenge but finally have courage to stand beside him when they realized Do Yoon can now protect them with his money and power. Perhaps that's reality. And I agree with the story that most of the times, one should really have connections when fighting a battle in a world full of big people in society.


The drama ended with Do Yoon having his own office as a lawyer. His mother visited him and brought him lunch. They ate happily, recalling times when both his father and sister were still alive and what could have been if they were there sharing the meal with them. I love his final facial expressions. A lot passed on his face, from happy, contented, triumphant, yet sad at the same time. 

Kim Kang Woo captured those emotions in one perfect scene. 

I pondered on the epilogue of the drama where Seo Dong Ha stepped out of prison gates.  Corruption, power, greed and money will always have the power to overturn the truth and the people who has been used to doing this things, sometimes not know what remorse is. His facial expressions says it all. He never learns from it all.  He looks calm and happy. As if he is ready to conquer the world again and that nothing will stop him from doing what he wants. Prison did not humbled him. 

Three murders and illegal selling of Hanmin Bank, he only served...what...a few years? Then looks like early parole. With crimes like these I think he should be serving at least a life sentence. 

Was justice served? I am not sure if justice is served to the fullest sense. More like justice is half served.

20 episodes of amazing characters, story line and brilliant acting, Golden Cross delivered a very well written and directed drama.


 -mslee1107 satisfied-





Comments

  1. Tounge in cheek. This drama was a good propaganda for the Chinese system. :-) There if you are couth and convicted for similar crimes you are executed, even if you are rich. No second chance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[Ep. 20] When a Man Loves Final Episode Screencaps + Short recap + mslee's Final Thoughts

[mslee's thoughts] Ep. 15 & 16 - Secret Final Review

[mslee's thoughts] The King's Face Episode 23 Final Screen caps and Review